It was…a pretty good week. A work event was behind us, and it always feels good to move beyond the mad rush leading up to an event. I got some good photos for the blog I do at work, and that felt good. I had a good mix of social evenings and “at home alone” evenings. My only real complaint (well, besides a friend who is ignoring my emails, grr) would be the weather. It is just SO so hot, I don’t even want to go sit at the beach in the evening and watch the sunset. I just want to go home to the aircon (ps, I’m watching too many UK youtubers and watching too much British tv, I’m starting to pick up and use some of their slang without even realizing. and even when I do realize, I like it, and keep doing it).
Fashion Schlub was included in Gwynnie Bee’s Best Member Moments of July post. I’ve shared this tidbit umpteen times. Whee, I’m a narcissist!
While I’m still on the subject of ME (!!!), I’ll also mention that FS was also included in Independent Fashion Bloggers Links à la Mode Summer Round Up Party: A listing of fashion bloggers (below) you might want to check out. I love looking at accounts I’ve never seen before and finding new favorites (I’m definitely going to take a look at that second one!).
- Adorned in Armor: Your Dreams Matter
- Aesthetic Distance: The Problem With The Body Positivity Movement
- Affordorable: Just Peachy | Summery Gingham Ribboned Espadrilles & Wicker Camera Bag
- Andreea Baroti: Southend on Sea
- Couture Crush: Creating a Cohesive Instagram Feed
- Elle is for She: Elle’s Look: Vintage Floral Mania
- Fashion Schlub: It’s a Wrap
- Fashion to Live: Rooftop Date Night: Sexified High Low Dress + Heels
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: Why is the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale SUCH a Big Deal?
- Have Clothes, Will Travel: A Formal Yet Comfortable Dress
- I’m a Norbyah: Not Taking Selfies: Learning to Take my Own Pictures
- I’m a Norbyah: Like Mother Like Fabulous: A Conversation with Redress & Pizza Express
- In My Wardrobe: PeacesbyAnya: Accessories with Afro-Caribbean Flair
- Julietly Lily Rose: How to Fake a Summer Glow + Tips for Tanning at Home Without Streaks or Stains
- Julietly Lily Rose: Summer Makeup Under $25 (IMJENNIM + Urban Decay Inspired)
- Knowing My Style: Peonies and Pink Blush
- L’ambassadrice The Romper Disaster: What My First College Nightmare Taught Me About Resilience
- Sifa’s Corner: Formulate Co. Haircare Product Launch and Giveaway
- Sifa’s Corner: Summer Essentials from Macy’s
- Tales of Two Blog: Do Bloggers Make Good Girls Look Cool?
- The Petite Bijou: These Are The Best Loafers To Wear This Fall
- Whit Wanders: I Grew Up on a Boat + Nordstrom Giveaway
My friend Linda and I went to a cool open studio gallery thing in Brooklyn – it was a huge space with art exhibits and installations, appies and wine and interactive workshops/sessions.
I got a kick out of this artist (I picked up her card and now I can’t find it!). She combined crochet (aka yarn bomb torture activity) with lighting and 3D images.
It doesn’t come across in the photo but the leopard in the center of the piece is actually 3D. How do people come up with this stuff? I’m so ashamed of my mind when I see things like this, like why can’t you ever come up with anything original??
Vintage tin ceiling tiles and moss.
Scraggly yarn (?) curtain in front of film of hand.
This put me in mind of Noah’s Ark.
we become everything we love
We did marbling. Mine’s on the left, Linda’s on the right. It was so cool. I wanted to do more.
We did the most amazing meditation. In the past when I’ve gone to meditation classes they were Buddhism-based, and I liked them very much. And a couple times a week I use a guided meditation app on my phone and just do a 5-10 minute breath-based meditation, and that’s fine. But this was like…SOUL meditation. Heart meditation. The woman who led it had us think on different things and there were different movements we did…it was just very different and it really moved me. Tears were streaming down my face halfway through. I wish I could go to her for more but she’s all the way in Brooklyn and that just doesn’t fit for me right now. But…wow. It was memorable.
This was the note on the chair I chose…that’s a pretty good message. For all of us.
Then there was a photographer taking portraits of people in a dark room with crazy lighting…
Everything about the evening was…I would say “perfect,” which is a term I rarely use…but for the HEAT. And humidity. The venue was air conditioned but it wasn’t even touching me, I was drenched the entire time. But other than that, it was really really really good.
Oh, this was one of my favorite things. Super tacky (intentionally?), but I love the beaded saying:
I play the game where I imagine my friends as old and silver. I like this game the most. Because in it we survive the hateful, warful years, all of the terrible things that will inevitably happen.
She is at @emilyoliveirastudio on Instagram if you want to see more.
It was one year ago this week that I had my head shaved 2 weeks into chemo. THAT was a day, oofah. A year later I’m still going to Morgan at POSH to have her try and shape my crazy curly regrowth. This is what it looks like when I get up in the morning (!).
The sides and bangs are pretty cooperative. It’s that poodle top bit that’s so crazy. It’s long enough to curl up and frizz in the humidity but not long enough to get my curling iron around to smooth. So at best, it’s smooshed down waves. Not cute like a “best short haircut” post on Pinterest.
Okay, here’s a thing I’m doing (ohhh I’m not happy about this but)…for the month of August – NO MCDONALDS SWEET TEA. I forgot I’d planned to make this resolution til Friday so I missed the first couple days…and Normal Me would say OH WELL, TRY AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER…but Trying to Be Better Than Normal Me is going to try and stick with it for the rest of the month. I was going to do “no sweet tea OR chips” in August but. I’m having a hard enough time getting my head around the tea part. Let’s just see how this goes. Chips can be the next step. BABY STEPS.
I have A Big Project on the agenda for this (Sunday) afternoon. If I complete it I’ll post a little before&after video. If I don’t, I’ll delete this paragraph and through the magic of television you’ll be none the wiser.
This is the kitchen table I wanted, but…not happening.
Okay, that’s it for this week! I’m going to to watch the last episode of Last Tango in Halifax (I didn’t realize when I started watching that it was only on for 3 seasons!) and then bed.
Wishing everyone a cool, dry, peaceful week!